This position is located in Phoenix, Arizona at Sonora Quest Laboratories
$10,000 Sign-on Bonus
LEAD Flow Cytometry Technologist Job Description
Performs all essential functions of Flow Cytometry Technologist as defined by the department. This position is responsible for clinical flow cytometry testing with a focus on leukemia/lymphoma profiles. Provides general operational oversight of area of responsibility under the direction of the Supervisor or Technical Director. Provides advanced practical and theoretical skills as required to perform, evaluate, and determine the reliability of test results or procedures. All under the direction of the Supervisor, is responsible for compliance with regulatory and accrediting agency requirements (e.g., CLIA ’88, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA). Serves as a role model and mentor for teamwork and positive colleague interaction. Demonstrates highly developed analytical skills and comprehensive technical knowledge. Serves as a LSA/SQL System and department resource. Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards.
1. Processing specimens and performing all testing procedures in the clinical flow cytometry section of the laboratory, including immunodeficiency panels, leukemia/lymphoma panels, single surface marker panels, and other immunophenotyping panels.
2. Performs all duties of Flow Cytometry Technologist as defined by the department, at a high level of competency. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and application of theory and clinical relevance of Flow Cytometry. Demonstrates ability to identify abnormal cell populations, understands general immunophenotypic results, and knows how to proceed in variant situations. Responsible for operational leadership and workflow oversight to the section/shift as directed by the department leadership. Integrates comprehensive technical knowledge and clinical relevance into daily activity for the department. Responsible for complex problem solving of technical, computer, interdepartmental, and quality issues. Under the direction of the department leadership, responsible for implementation of system technical initiatives in their area of responsibility. May determine schedules, manage day to day workflow and give input into an assessment or disciplinary action. Monitors and ensures compliance with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements for the laboratory. Actively participates in preparation for on-site accrediting process.
3. Recognizes, ensures validity, and assists in monitoring abnormal patient and/or QC results of highly complex testing. Recognizes need and participates in department and LSA/SQL System process improvement and quality assurance activities, including assisting with monitoring of department indicators of productivity and quality. Assists the Supervisor, Administrative and Technical Directors, and Technical Specialist, in the implementation of new QC/QA polices and continuous quality improvement programs in accordance with the Quality System. Active in department and LSA/SQL System quality assurance activities.
4. Monitors and controls inventory and assist in providing financial data for the department. Active participation on process improvements in financial performance to decrease costs, improvement productivity and improve service.
5. Participates in contributions to additional department/System projects. Active in training of department employees. Actively participates on at least one committee or team or is involved in at least one special project identified with department management. Exhibits awareness of medical/legal consequences of professional actions.
6. Serves as a resource communication liaison for on-site, and System issues. Provides access to other System resources when appropriated. Works closely with on-site management to integrate the area into other activities on-site. Interacts with co-workers with an emphasis on teamwork and a focus on customer service. Demonstrates appropriate verbal and written skills. Demonstrates preceptor and coaching skills and promotes a constructive environment that encourages learning and development.
MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING
TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
Department and LSA/SQL System responsibility. Internal Customer - Employees of the system. External Customer - Nurses, physicians, office personnel, vendors, etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS
Standing, sitting, walking, lifting up to 25 pounds (heavy diluents / reagents), bending, instrumentation maintenance, comprehension of written and oral instructions in English, confidentiality, stress, mathematics, frequent interruptions, detailed work, high level problem solving and reasoning, computer skills, ability to multi-task, potential exposure to chemical, electrical and biological hazards, memorization, ability to distinguish colors, ability to take direction and follow through on tasks, manual dexterity, and positive communication skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Bachelor’s in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological science
Three years of Flow Cytometry experience, including but not limited to 5-10 Color leukemia/lymphoma analysis and lymphocyte subset testing
Demonstrated behaviors consistent with those identified as Company core behaviors.
Demonstrated excellent problems solving skills, and high level of self-motivation
Three or more years of current experience in Flow Cytometric analysis of multi-color leukocyte subset enumeration, quantization of cell surface antigen expression, and leukemia/lymphoma immunophenotyping (hematological malignancies)
MLS/MLT certification and or ASCP CCy certification or willing to obtain certification within 1 year of employment