This position is responsible for a high level of technical knowledge and application of that knowledge to department testing, clinical relevance, and complex problem-solving skills. This position serves as a department resource and is responsible for assisting with department compliance with all pertinent laboratory accrediting agency and regulatory requirements (e.g., CLIA ’88, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA). This position is responsible for clinical flow cytometry testing with a focus on leukemia/lymphoma immunophenotyping and lymphocyte subset testing.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards.
1. Processes specimens and performs all testing procedures in the clinical flow cytometry section of the laboratory, including immunodeficiency panels, leukemia/lymphoma panels, Sezary panels, and single surface marker panels.
2. Performs all duties at a high level of competency. Actively participates in problem solving activities within the department, using an advanced level of decision-making skills. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and application of all computer systems in the department. Demonstrates knowledge and application of theory and clinical relevance of Flow Cytometry. Demonstrates ability to identify abnormal cell populations, understands general immunophenotypic results, and knows how to proceed in variant situations. Assists in ensuring compliance with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements. Demonstrates ability to assume lead responsibilities in the absence of on-site departmental leadership personnel.
3. Recognizes, ensures validity, and assists in monitoring abnormal patient and/or QC results of highly complex testing. Recognizes need and participates in department and LSA/SQL System process improvement and quality assurance activities, including assisting with monitoring of department indicators of productivity and quality.
4. Monitors and receives lab supplies and inventory as needed. Participates in quality control of new reagents as well as, quality control, quality assurance, and preventive maintenance of department instrumentation.
5. Participates in contributions to additional department/system projects. Active in training of department employees. Actively participates on at least one committee or team or is involved in at least one special project identified with department management. Exhibits awareness of medical/legal consequences of professional actions.
6. Acts as a department resource by providing educational information to internal and external customers. Demonstrates advanced level of effective verbal and written communication skills.
MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING
TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS
Standing, sitting, walking, lifting up to 25 pounds (heavy diluents / reagents), bending, instrumentation maintenance, comprehension of written and oral instructions in English, confidentiality, stress, mathematics, frequent interruptions, detailed work, high level problem solving and reasoning, computer skills, ability to multi-task, potential exposure to chemical, electrical and biological hazards, memorization, ability to distinguish colors, ability to take direction and follow through on tasks, manual dexterity, and positive communication skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Skilled with basic laboratory equipment, such as but not limited to centrifuge, pipettors, aspirators
Familiar with the concepts of quality control and quality assurance
Ability to work well with others in a team environment
Ability to learn new concepts and procedures and receive and implement feedback given
Ability to communicate well with leadership, co-workers, internal and external customers
Demonstrate professionalism at all times
Bachelor’s in Medical Technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical, or biological science or one year prior experience as a MLT with exceptional skills, highly developed interpersonal skills, internal candidates with a minimum rating of 3 in any area of their most recent performance review and passing of on-site competency/criteria as defined by the department.
Demonstrates behaviors consistent with those identified as our company core values and behaviors.
Highly motivated to perform in a high-volume lab.
Demonstrates excellent communication skills.
Demonstrates ability to collaborate and work within a team.
Demonstrates excellent problem-solving skills.
ASCP SCYM certification
1-2 years of current experience in 8-12 color Flow Cytometry leukemia/lymphoma specimen processing and immunophenotyping analysis.
MLS with Hematology experience, including morphology.